Monday, July 16, 2012

first class style

This past weekend, the toddler, husband, and I took to the skies that were...er, not so friendly in, well, a couple of ways.  First the weather was uncooperative on our flight home yesterday which always makes me a wreck...but, more unsettling than the atmospheric pressure were the things that people wear when they fly.  I know it's summer and well...it's hot, and maybe you have a nice tan and want to show it off but the airplane isn't exactly the best place to display your, er...wares.  After enduring a 2 hour delay yesterday at the airport I had ample opportunity to see outfits of all sorts and sizes.  And that's a whole different issue.  Seems people, grown adults, are unaware of their correct sizing.  If you wear a size 8 then a size 0 is not going to fit you nor is it going to appear to fit you for those of us in line behind you.  And, what is it about the airport that brings out school pride in everyone? I have school spirit too but prefer to fly in something other than a jersey.  I guess I'm still of the "old school" theory...dress nice for your flight.  Have some pride in yourself, and wherever you're going.  I love the ladies dressed in slacks and jackets, cute flats, etc.  Which brings me to another issue...there is absolutely no reason to wear 6 inch heels on a flight.  I don't care who you are or where you're going.  I saw a lady yesterday in the airport with such shoes on...barely able to walk.  I didn't know whether she needed a band-aid or a wheel chair.  I guess that's where the line of looking good for your flight and comfort is blurred.  I'm here to tell you that it is possible to look good and be comfortable at the same time in something not requiring the words "Juicy" stitched across your back section.  And so, as I sat there in my green JBrand jeans, JCrew tunic, and Bernardo flats I was amazed at the attire of most...just thinking about the girl in the jean shorts so short that I hoped it was her bathing suit...sitting in my seat before me...or the girl in the pants so low that I'm certain her entire bare backside was literally spilled out into the seat that would soon be taken possibly by me or the husband or toddler.  You get the picture...I could go on and on.  Point is, I wish things were how they used to be...people were excited to look nice to fly somewhere, whether it was on vacation or their honeymoon, or just to go home.  But alas, nearly gone are the days of getting bumped up to first class just for looking nice.  But, if you are still interested in looking like a jet setter...here are a few suggestions that don't include lettered sweatshirts and sweatpants...and then, well, maybe we can all sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.

image credit: top:howstuffworks, bottom:polyvore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...